The Forward Award recognizes exemplary school library media programs in Wisconsin’s schools, in order to strengthen school library programs and support student achievement. This is an individual building program award.
The application must be submitted by a certified Teacher-Librarian employed full-time by the district of the school applying for the award.
The application must be submitted by a WEMTA member.
The applicant school must have scored above the state average in Language Arts on the WKCE for the two years prior to the submission OR must show a consistent gain in scores over the previous three years.
Award winners may apply on a 3-year cycle.
- The application narrative may not exceed five (5) pages. Supporting documentation should be included as an appendix and referred to in the narrative.
- The official budget (Detail of Expenditures Report) from the school must be submitted with the Business Manager’s or Principal’s signature.
- Four (4) copies of each portfolio must be submitted, unless submission is electronic. Please submit to Malena Koplin, by November15.
The portfolio of documentation will not be returned, however an evaluation summary will be sent.
- Program must meet the exemplary criteria of the Award Committee based upon the AASL & ISTE (NETS) standards.
- The portfolio may include but is not limited to:
- Anecdotal examples showing that information literacy skills are taught within the context of the curriculum: master schedule, narratives, teacher/student testimonials, etc
- Mission/Vision statements
- Annual Report
- Examples of student work
- Collaborative lesson plans
- Evaluation of lessons/reflection
- Evidence of leadership in professional development
- Evidence of professional growth
- Long-range or strategic plan
- Collection development information
- Other documents/materials that the applicant deems relevant to telling their story.
Timeline for Award:
- July 1 – November 15: Applications accepted.
- December 15: Winning schools notified.
- January-February: Presentation of award at a meeting of the winning school’s School Board.
- Spring: Winners will be recognized during the Awards Banquet at the WEMTA Conference, at which time the Exemplary Program of the Year will be announced.